Compared to 2011, this year’s selection of films was a vast improvement! I created a Facebook page for NSFCCDP but have been a little disappointed with the lack of reaction it received, but then I am not yet a god of promotion on Facebook or Pinterest yet. Please go check it out and give me some likes!
In any case, here is a list of the 2012 films in the order that I enjoyed them. Please feel free to comment or let me know if I missed any. I have yet to see Django Unchained as it was just released here this week so that’s why it isn’t on the list:
- The Avengers – best for pure entertainment despite some holes in the story. Epic battle of Iron Man and Thor and the performance of Ruffalo as the Hulk were standout performances for 2012
- Jack Reacher – as a pure thriller, this one was an excellent cocktail for the end of the year
- Looper – the return of Bruce Willis (while we wait for Die Hard 5) in a fascinating twist on time travel. Plus there were blunderbusses!
- Argo – OK, it isn’t SciFi either (and now that I think of it, neither was Jack Reacher) but it was a fascinating and apparently accurate look back at the Iranian hostage crisis which definitely marked the youth of this blogger
- The Dark Knight Rises – While on an initial view, the film was fun and engaging, subsequent viewings have exposed its many plot problems. I guess it was nearly impossible to top Ledger’s Joker in The Dark Knight, but at least we saw the Bat (finally) and Anna Hathaway in a leather suit on a Batcycle and that was worth the price of admission
- Skyfall – this was a good Bond film with excellent cinematography but not enough gadgets and too much annoying and condescending product placement
- The Bourne Legacy – a good action film, but a silly ending although I am looking forward to more action films with Jeremy Renner.
- Chronicle – hard to remember this far back to Jnauary, but this film was interesting and pretty original, but not enough so to make me remember anything in particular about it, thus its placement low in this list
- John Carter – first of the great deceptions of this year, this film was beautifully shot but was way too long and probably too ambitious
- Prometheus – second of the great deceptions, this supposed Alien prequel, while also gorgeously shot, was pathetic in terms of its storyline was almost physically painful to watch a second time because it was so inconsistent
- The Amazing Spiderman – actually not all that amazing and a pretty crappy film overall. Only redeeming factor is probably the passable special effects but still definitely a weak point in the franchise
- Wrath of the Titans – I can barely remember this film now, but I do remember that despite the special effects, it left me with an empty feeling in my pocket – not really worth the money I spent especially with the cardboard acting and plot
- Snow White and the Huntsman – while the aesthetics of this film were interesting, I could not fucking stand Kirsten Stewart in this film with its pathetic “dark forest” which killed no one. I think that the worst female performances of the year would have to be this one from the (overpaid) Ms. Stewart and the (wtf kind of death was that) Marion Cotillard in TDKR.
- Battleship – one of the worst films I have EVER seen. This pathetic piece of patriotic shit annoyed me, patronized me, and was nearly as bad – well, no, it was actually worse – than the sci-fi disaster 2012 from 2009. I cannot say enough about how abysmal this film was. To be avoided at all costs.
I’d love to hear what you think about this list order and what action/scifi movies I may have missed. Sound off in the comments 🙂